It finally feels like winter is on its way to Boonville. It's been pretty chilly each morning and all the leaves in the vineyards are shades of deep red and yellow. Somehow we are still harvesting the last of our chiles and have our olive harvest scheduled for later this week. I'm very much looking forward to sitting by a fire in our wood stove as many evenings as possible in the next few days!
With winter weather comes holiday shopping! As a small farm, we really can’t compete with the large corporations offering deep discounts on their products for the holiday season. Nor do we want to! We’ve spent the past 10 months growing, caring for, harvesting, and processing a fantastic range of chiles, beans, and olives and we are *just* able to start selling some of these items. It takes a lot of people hours to do what we do, and discounting ourselves and our work isn't something we're interested in!
That being said, we hope that you also find value in what we do! Whether you purchase our farm-to-jar chiles for your friends or use them in whatever food is on your holiday table, we’re so glad to have you in our community.
We’ve put together a few special items for this year and really hope you enjoy them. Scroll on to learn more!
Make Chicken Mole at Home!
Arcelia’s Mole Kit has all the chiles, spices, and chocolate you need to make her incredible Mole de Pollo (Chicken Mole). This recipe is a stunner and it really isn’t too hard to make! Make it a date night dinner or as the main course for New Year’s Eve!
Here's what's in the kit:
- Four bags of Boonville Barn Collective Whole Dried Ancho, Cascabel, Espelette, and Mulato chiles
- Oaktown Spice Shop Jamaican Allspice, Whole Cloves, White Sesame Seeds, Tellicherry Black Peppercorns, Sri Lankan Cinnamon, Turkish Bay Leaves
- Taza Chocolate Mexican-Style Stone Ground 70% Dark Chocolate Chocolate Disc with Sea Salt
- Recipe card for making the Mole de Pollo
Upgrade Classic Pantry Items
Our Pantry Starter Kit is back with a few tweaks!
This year’s box features a jar of Piment d’Ville Sea Salt, Smoky Piment d’Ville, a tin of Fat Gold Olive Oil, and a few of our favorite recipes.
It’s a great price point for gifting friends or family members who are just learning how to cook, could use a few nice ingredients, or for friends that miss the flavors of California.
While we don't have any of our olive oil available, we're stoked to feature Fat Gold Olive Oil from some of our dear friends/Krissy's favorite author.
Send the Boon Box!
We still have subscriptions available for The Boon Box!
This is a box that arrives at your door 3 times a year filled with a variety of our chiles powders and flakes, chile preserves, and sometimes beans.
The first box ships December 12.
Sign up for one of our three options including just chiles, chiles and 5 pounds of beans, or chiles and 10 pounds of beans. Boxes will be on sale until December 5th and will not be on sale again until October 2023.
The first box includes the Piment d'Ville Collection Box filled with Classic, Spicy, and Smoky Piment d'Ville from our brand new 2022 harvest, Calabrian Chile Flakes, and Spicy Tomato Preserve made with Comapeño Chile Powder.
What We're Cooking + Thanksgiving Ideas
- Just craving a big bowl of hearty vegetable soup? Make a pot of our Mistera d’Ville with Fried Piment Croutons!
- Need a gravy alternative for Thanksgiving? I highly recommend our Piment d’Ville chile cream sauce! Use Classic, Smoky, or Spicy Piment d’Ville in this very simple cream sauce and spoon (or glug) it over turkey, potatoes, stuffing, or anything else on your plate (except maybe the cranberry sauce).
- If turkey isn’t your thing, maybe braised pork is! I wouldn’t be mad if I ate a big pot of Comapeño Carne Adovada on the 24th instead. It’s quick to come together and then sits in the oven for 2 hours.
- At this time last year, Dorie Greenspan had just published this recipe for a Sweet Potato Galette in the New York Times that specifically featured our Piment d'Ville. It's delicious. I'll probably make it over Thanksgiving weekend. You'll need a NYT Cooking subscription to get the recipe.
- Feeling a bit more wintry? Then our Spiced Pumpkin Gingerbread Loaf might just hit the spot.